Base en tránsito: Workplace + Research + Context
Artist Residency Call organised by ARXIU/AM
Base en tránsito is the prototype of the artist residency that the Associació Arxiu Muntadas. Centre d’Estudis i Recerca (ARXIU/AM) is offering for the first time. It consists of a 3-month residency, which includes a personal working space, with accompaniment throughout creative processes and with full immersion during the period in Muntadas | Studio and ARXIU/AM in the development of a research and/or collaborative proposal.
Base en tránsito offers both space and time for artistic work and research, as well as the opportunity to observe first-hand the professional dynamics around the work and trajectory of Muntadas. With this residency, the aim is to collaborate in promoting the artistic and professional career of the applicant, through the following activities:
- The selected artist should begin a project (or continue with one that has already started).
- Implement research and/or a collaboration program with Muntadas | Studio and the ARXIU/AM, to be agreed upon between the selected artist and both entities.
- Dissemination of the residency, the program, and the collaboration with the el Districte Cultural de l’Hospitalet, through an online work diary.
At the ARXIU/AM we consider that the acceleration of processes, and the dematerialized productivism in the world in which we live, generate contradictory situations in thought, in creativity and in the ways of working. At the same time however, while these exchanges are encouraged, there is a lack of places for reflection.
Base en tránsito wants to create opportunities for critical reflections on the place of artists and their ways of doing, which nowadays takes various forms, from individual practices carried out in studios, to online methodologies, post-studio or contextual work.
This artistic residency seeks to promote commitment and collaboration, as elements of cohesion and activation of research. The main objective is to offer the selected artist tools for the transversal development of ways of making contemporary art, simultaneously assisting with training and immersion in a professional context.
Base en tránsito begins with this public call, from which a resident artist will be chosen. For three months the artist will be granted a studio space for their personal study, and time and space to create.
A research and/or collaboration calendar will be established with Muntadas | Studio and ARXIU/AM, to enrich the active project(s) of the selected artists, but also to further acquire professional knowledge about the field of contemporary art.
The result, in addition to the residency and the research and/or collaboration program, will take the form of a work diary that the artist will develop throughout the period, and that will be disseminated online on the ARXIU/AM websites.
- 30m2 studio in an open space of 150m2, with internet, and shared kitchen and dining area.
- Accompaniment and monitoring of the project or projects in progress.
- Research and / or collaboration program with ARXIU/AM, to be agreed between the selected person and the association’s staff.
- A total amount of 1000€ (gross), to be billed by the selected artist, as fees and production for the entire period of the residency.
- Dissemination space for an online work diary that gives visibility to the artist residency.
- Commitment to begin and complete the residency during the 3 months, as well as to complete the online work diary.
- Commitment and collaboration to carry out the research program and/or collaboration with ARXIU/AM according to the agreed terms. This program should be thought about taking into consideration that the hours in which the Muntadas | Studio and ARXIU/AM are open: Mondays and Wednesdays from 10am to 2pm, and Thursdays from 3pm to 8pm.
- Compliance with the rules for the use of spaces.
- Once the result of the call has been communicated, the selected person should send an invoice for the fee (1000€ gross for the total residency) before December 27th, 2021.
To apply, please include:
- Motivation letter (maximum 1 page).
- Artist Statement + ongoing projects (maximum 1 page).
- A document with the possible research and / or collaboration program (maximum 1 page).
- Up-to-date CV (maximum 2 pages).
Applications should be sent in a single PDF document, of a maximum 15Mb, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email should be “Base en tránsito / (Name of person)”. Any questions about the process or the conditions can be sent to the same email. The deadline for receiving applications is from November 24th to December 12th, 2021. The selected artist will be chosen by a jury in which two people from ARXIU/AM and two external agents from the local artistic field will participate. (Valentín Roma, director of La Virreina Center de la Imatge; Victoria Sacco, researcher and independent cultural manager, Professor at ESDi). The jury’s decision is final. The presentation of this application to obtain the scholarship implies the acceptance of these rules and regulations.
Launch of the call: November 24th, 2021.
Call deadline: December 12th, 2021.
Communication of the result: December 17-19th, 2021.
Period of stay: between January 7 and March 31, 2022.
Accompaniment of the residency: there will be three mentoring meetings on dates to be agreed.
Presentation of the results of the residency: last two weeks of March.
The workspace will be located in the offices of Muntadas | Studio, in the Neighborhood of Santa Eulàlia de l’Hospitalet (C/ Corominas). From time to time, the collaboration program may also be developed at the ARXIU/AM offices in the city of Barcelona.
Base en tránsito is a program of artistic residencies organized by ARXIU/AM, in collaboration with Muntadas | Studio, and with the support of the Districte Cultural de l’Hospitalet.
Base en tránsito is aimed at artists, architects, urban planners and, in general, agents from the creative and cultural field; also to other researchers interested in the arts from areas of the social and human sciences, with special interest in interdisciplinarity, teamwork, and project methodologies.
The call is aimed at agents whose work revolves around concepts such as “context”, “project”, “research”, “implication”, “curiosity” and “archive”, as well as other characteristic themes of Muntadas’ artistic practice, such as the media, social protocols, translation, censorship, or public space, among others.
Muntadas is a multidisciplinary artist based in Barcelona and New York, whose career addresses (and therefore allows his work allows to address) a large number of themes, concepts and problems. The Associació Arxiu Muntadas. Centre d’Estudis i Recerca (ARXIU/AM) is inspired by his artistic practice and his ways of doing. The three main principles with which Muntadas | Studio and ARXIU/AM base themselves within the territory of l’Hospitalet is on the contribution to development, artistic research, and knowledge transfer. More information at www.arxiumuntadas.org.
[ WITH THE SUPPORT OF ]